Saturday, March 24, 2012

Donating My Hair: The Decision

For many years I wanted to donate my hair to Locks of Love, but I never did. Early 2010 I decided to cut my hair off like I had been doing every year. The only difference is that this time, I set a goal for myself. Grow hair out until it is long enough to donate to an organization that makes wigs for people that have lost their hair due to medical conditions.

Over the last couple of weeks, the urge to cut my hair has been growing stronger and stronger. Last week I googled "hair donations." Of course Locks of Love, being the most popular was listed in the search results. They have always been my chosen organization to help me accomplish my goal. But after doing some research, I have now decided to not use them. The main reason is that they charge the children that receive the wigs a fee based off their parents' income and I think the wigs should be free (more on that another time). I continued to research. I finally came across "Beautiful Lengths," a program created by Pantene that works together with the American Cancer Society to donate real hair wigs to woman.

After dreaming about cutting my hair all last night, this morning I went back to the Pantene website to read about Beautiful Lengths again. This time I saw on their blog that they, along with Seventeen magazine, announced yesterday that April 27th will be National Donate Your Hair Day. On that day, I will pledge to make a difference in someone's life by donating the 8+ inches of hair that I have been growing since April 2010. I encourage anyone that wants to do the same, to read up on the Beautiful Lengths program and join me at the hair salon on April 27th.



Live.Love.Laugh.Sing.Dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment